Booku is Carbon Neutral
Eclipse Commerce Pty Ltd, the parent company of Booku, is carbon neutral, independently accredited by the Carbon Reduction Institute (Certification #NC166).
In addition to its carbon neutrality, Eclipse Commerce Pty Ltd has implemented a host of environmentally-friendly measures to minimise its internal environmental footprint. In this way, both Boomerang Books and Booku are contributing to the environmental sustainment of the Australian book industry.
Books are made of carbon. Trees are felled to pulp paper. Energy is consumed to publish and print books. Fuel and resources are consumed by the supply chain that delivers books to the customer's doorstep.
It is appropriate that Eclipse Commerce Pty Ltd, as a book retailer, contributes back to the environment from which its books are derived.
By making a contribution, we're helping to ensure that book publishing and retailing are sustainable practices into the future. We are doing our part to ensure that coming generations will have the opportunity to read and treasure books, as we do today.
Eclipse Commerce Pty Ltd is subject to an annual carbon audit and purchases carbon credits each quarter to offset the organisation's emissions. Carbon credits are a mechanism that allows organisations to fund and trade climate change actions on an open market. Each carbon credit represents one tonne of carbon dioxide or its greenhouse gas equivalent (CO2-e) reduced or saved from entering the atmosphere.
Beyond contributing to carbon credits each quarter, Eclipse Commerce Pty Ltd and its staff are committed to reducing the organisation's overall environmental footprint. We undertake the following environmentally friendly measures to reduce carbon emissions:
- We only sell books online - we don't operate a retail shopfront.
- We trade with local businesses in favour of overseas businesses, minimising the energy consumption associated with transport and handling of books.
- We don't do any print or mail marketing - all marketing is done via electronic means (email, social media, website).
- We don't print emails or other documents that can be read directly from a computer screen.
- We maintain a paperless office to the fullest extent possible - we use a wiki and other online repositories for information and knowledge management.
- We use recycled paper and we print on both sides.
- We recycle paper, batteries, mobile phones, printer cartridges, computer and electrical equipment, plastic containers and bottles.
- We have plants on our desks.
- We never wash our coffee mugs (within reason!).
- We don't own any business vehicles.
- We regularly work from home offices, minimising vehicle travel.
- We use public transport as much as possible.
- We rarely fly anywhere and prefer online meetings, Skype and the trusty telephone.
- We wear attire that is appropriate for the climate (normally a t-shirt and jeans) and don't overuse heating and cooling.
- We turn our lights off at night, make use of natural lighting where possible, and use electric lighting only when it is required.
- We use Energy Star rated computer and electrical equipment.
- We turn all electrical appliances off when not in use.
- We turn our computers off when not in use.